“Sarah, I want to lose weight and then I will worry about putting on muscle”
“Ehhh, I don’t want to lift because I don’t want to be bulky or manly”
Yeah, I have heard these a time or two – or a million. There is something I want all women to know who want to burn more fat, lose that unwanted weight, and tone up.
Why is strength training important in fat loss?
- Muscle burns more calories than fat. Studies show that resistance training increases the resting metabolic rate and the daily energy expenditure. 9 months of resistance training can increase the resting metabolic rate by up to 5% – that’s about 158 more calories a day that are being burned!
- Resistance training can have up to 24 hours of an after-burn effect. That means your body is burning calories from your strength training session for up to 24 hours after the actual workout! Cardio does not have this same effect.
How can you lift weights and not get “bulky”
There are 3 factors to consider here: hormones, calories, and training style.
- Women do have testosterone in their bodies, but not nearly as much as men do. Due to this fact it is very hard for women to build the same kind of muscle mass a man does.
- In order to gain a large amount of muscle to look “bulky” you must be in a caloric surplus. You, my beautiful friend, should be in a caloric deficit because you are looking to lose some fat. Being in a caloric deficit you will put on some lean muscle mass, but your body will not have enough calories to use for any large, body-building-type muscle to happen.
- There are specific training styles for specific goals. How much weight to lift, how many reps and sets to do, how long to rest, and so on and so forth. There is a specific rep and rest range for bulking up. This is where having a coach to write you the right personalized program for your needs and wants could come in handy!
A thought to consider: it is hard for men and women to put on lots of muscle in a “bulkiy” fashion when they are intentionally trying to do it, so you can rest assured that you are not going to stumble upon “bulky” on accident.
So, let’s go, beautiful lady! It is time to get to training!
Don’t worry – if you need help getting on the right workout program – I got you! Message me today about coaching packages!